First of all I buy only extra virgin coconut oil. This is an important thing, because it means that is pure and not treated. You can find it in a lot of herbalist’s shops and organic shops.
Second, it is a oil, this means it is full of fats (vegetal fats), so you don’t have to abuse of it in the kitchen. By the way it is very good to cook with it sometimes, for example I love it in my chicken curry or in my cakes. Or in my tea when I’m ill (it can help soothing a sore throat)!
But I’m here today to talk about its beauty uses. There are a lot, maybe a hundred, but I selected only those I prefer and those I usually do. For example I don’t use it on my hair because it greases it a lot. So I use it:
- to moisturize and nourish my skin. I apply it as a facial mask before I clean my face or as a “leg mask” before the shower because my skin is always very dry. Many people like to use it as a natural moisturizer. Its natural antioxidant properties make it great for stopping wrinkles and skin irritation. When used consistently on skin it can help get rid of cellulite.
- to remove make up. You can use it alone or with other oils as part of an oil cleansing regimen for beautiful skin. Coconut oil is an excellent eye-makeup remover.
- as a body scrub. I mix it with an equal part of sugar for a smoothing body scrub (in the shower)
- as a strong lip balm. I rub it on lips as a natural lip balm or with sugar to remove dead skin from my lips.
- to whiten my teeth. I use it by itself or with baking soda as a whitening mask for my teeth.
- on hands after doing dishes to avoid dry skin.
And what about you? What is your beauty routine with coconut oil?